"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

S-L-O-W D-O-W-N my brain

So we had a really good lesson tonight with Danny....I guess I should say I learned a lesson about my thinking (a lesson that's not new to me, but I need to be reminded often). First of all, the mini-boot camp worked...his canter felt awesome. And as long as I keep him straight using my right leg and right rein (both directions) he goes straight and stays soft. I need to learn to get him off my right leg and not let him bulge against me...I just can't tolerate it and have to realize when it's happening. Well all that prep work was supposed to set us up for XC...as soon as I saw the combos that were set up, my mind and heart started racing and of course it transferred right to him. I couldn't get him to walk...we tried to just calmly go up and down our small bank and it was like the devil was chasing him...then he had a slight hopping fit...and then I got my ass kicked. I need to slow down in my mind and not make such a big deal of new exercises. After we had the runout at Fairhill off the bank to the corner, now in my head corners are terrible and I try and micro manage...ugh. At this point I'm thinking we aren't even going to get to the exercise since we can't even calmly go through the small banks. At this point I'm pissed that I've lost my mind and I'm causing the problem...I'm overthinking and just need to reset my brain. So we go to the exercise. We start by coming up the ramp of the bank, turning right, dropping off the bank, one stride to the skinny coop. We get through it and then we move onto dropping off the 3' bank, right bending line, 3 strides to the corner. The first time we drop off the bank and he hops to the right and we never even get close to the corner....second time, same thing. So the next time, Danny says, "Just open your right rein and go to the corner", well what do you know when I got out of his way he soars over the corner, no hesitation, no problem. I need to trust him...he likes his job and he wants it to be his decision...he doesn't want to be forced. So turns out I was micromanaging and trying too hard to yank on the right rein and right it to perfect instead of just letting in happen....sometimes I need to stop thinking and use a bit of instinct. I need it to be more routine and not be a big deal. It started to feel not so rushed...the first few times we did it it felt like it was a bounce instead of 3 strides, it started to get less and less hectic in my mind and I started to feel like I had time in between. I need to school that enough that it becomes second nature and I don't have to think. It was definitely a good lesson that was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment