"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Saturday, May 22, 2010

No Trespassers

Legacy is somewhat of a watchdog...he hates when new people get near our property. Today when I went out to get him, they were doing work across the street in the tree farm...he DID NOT like that. So he proceeded to sprint around the pasture, snorting and stomping with his tail straight up in the air. With the help of a peppermint, I grab his fly mask and begin bringing him in. Somehow he doesn't bolt from me and we get in the barn where he proceeds to run me over to get into his stall...ugh, it was going to be a long ride. At this point, I realize that I should have left him in the pasture for a few more hours and try again later...but, I'm as stubborn as he is and I can't let him win. So I yell for Seth to come help because I know this is not a one person job. Seth grabs all my tack and I lead the raging maniac to the ring with the lunge line...I knew I couldn't even try and get him ready in the barn. Well, it takes about 20 minutes of him tearing around in a circle around me, while I'm trying to switch directions and get his attention. This is one of his moods, it's kind of weird to watch because it seems like something is chasing him around the circle and he can't be controlled. And then when he turns in towards me and trots right up to me, I always think to myself, you could just keep going and run me over (luckily he hasn't done that yet). With some leading exercises alternating with lungeing, I got him settled and tacked up. He settles right in when I get on and we had a nice workout, nothing great, but no major mishaps. We were just continuing to work on getting soft after jumping and me controlling my body as to not lean at him too much. I'm starting to see my spots better if I don't lean at him, so it's a matter of repetition now. Off to dinner with my wonderful hubby now...a mini date night :).

No comments:

Post a Comment