"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Positive Reinforcement

We took the boys to Bucks County Horse Park this morning for some XC fun. We met Matt, Tracy and Jen there...unfortunately 3 out of 5 of the pairs were lame in some fashion...2 horses and 1 person thanks to Seth's circular saw incident. So Tracy and I got to run around and get all sweaty. After Jen's horse Gully decided to stop flipping out because he could only walk, we got down to business. Legacy was a maniac...in a good way. I barely had to use any leg and was having more trouble stopping him than anything. It was good to feel that again....I felt like I could've pointed him at anything and he would've been fine. There's not too much scary stuff there, so we just hopped around some tables and such and everything was really easy for him. Tracy had a breakthrough when she got Skyy over the Trakehner...her last horse had a ditch problem, but Skyy couldn't care less...no hesitation at all. He was certainly proud of himself as he should be!! There really was only one combo for us to work on...a double up bank left bend to a table. It was so smooth...I felt like I had so much time after the banks to get to the table which is a good feeling....I think it's 3 or 4 strides, and we've been working on bending lines. We had a jump workout at home last night with bending lines. Satan's S-curve exercise was set up and then I set up our skinny chevron bending line to a corner using a barrel and 2 standards. I had the jumps pretty low 2'9" or so, so he was having no trouble with anything and I'd say rushing more than anything. So I guess we're back on the seesaw...going from rushing to stopping. I just never know what horse I'm going to have on any given day. This was a good step for us and a straightforward, positive schooling which will hopefully carry through to next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment