"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rainy Sunday

Ok so what did I do today...no riding since it was a rainy Sunday and we've had a rough couple of days. Well I spent too many hours making this blog and watching online videos of Rolex cross-country on Eventing Nation or on NBC...sometimes it's tough to watch the falls, but it's part of it.
It's amazing when you see a great ride like Boyd and Neville or Phillip and The Foreman....it looks so easy...and I've been there for the past 2 years...does this look easy?

Sometimes it makes me wonder if being a professional in the sport sometimes affects your decision making skills. Are certain horses running to attempt to win an award for the rider or because the owners want them to even though they may not be ready? When it's your livelihood the monetary aspects obviously are much more important. You see, I have no idea about this because in my riding career the money only goes one direction...OUT. I did win some prize money at AEC's, but that barely covered the entry fee and stabling..haha. People often ask me how much I win and I feel a bit like a moron when I say, "maybe a ribbon and a Cosequin bucket." Anyway, I would give anything to have my career revolve around horses in some way, but I would hate for riding to be like a "job" and to have to treat the horses like a business. It's a very fine line, but I think when the horses become "assets" you lose that connection that every horse and rider team needs. Anyway, luckily all horse and rider combos were fine at Rolex...after a lot of scrutiny in the sport that is somewhat positive. Interestingly enough, a new technology called a frangible pin that is supposed to let the jumps collapse when a horse hits a fence failed to work at fences where some pretty nasty falls happened...the Hollow and the Coffin. Hopefully that technology is reviewed and can be implemented properly or else let's figure something else out.

So after hours of staring at the computer screen, we did some landscaping. It was an odd choice with the weather, but it had to be done. When we get a day with no shows or events, we have to take advantage. So most of you may think landscaping is planting some tulips or lillies...no we moved a large bush...and as pictured we had to tie it to the trailer so it wouldn't fall over...who thinks this will actually hold and not die?? My grandma told Seth and I there was no way it would live. We celebrated her 84th birthday today...what an amazing woman with an incredible life. She's been an inspiration to women in sports...she played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League and started several of Reading High School's womens sports team throughout her teaching career. I hope I get even a sliver of her charisma...


~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment