"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lessons Learned

I am a bit crazy, which I guess is why I'm drawn to three day eventing. Luckily, my laid back husband balances me out and keeps me sane (sort of). I am approaching my first Prelim event in 3 weeks and I'm already nervous, actually I've been nervous since February when we set up my show schedule. I evented through Traning in high school, but it was so different, it's a whole new world now. Legacy and I are more than ready, which Seth has to tell me every time I have a melt-down after a crappy ride. I've had 2 wakeup calls this week...1) conditioning for upper levels is going to be intensive and 2) I have no idea how to ride a collected canter, my hips just don't work yet. 1) I went for a trot workout on Friday with Danny Warrington and his Prelim and Intermediate horses. Legacy was fine and kept up, but it's time to step up our workouts and it's going to be a time commitment since we will have to trailer to get to some hills since it's flat around our house. Luckily Seth has some flexible hours with his job (which I do not) and he can condition at least once a week for me. 2) After our trot workout I rode one of Danny's horses...let me just say that Legacy and I have a lot of work to do with our canter. It was really good for me to feel how a horse should respond to your seat and hands. I think I may have to start to do pilates or something to open up my hips and try and get more flexible.

~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment