"When the going gets tough...the tough get going."


"Be at your best when the best is needed."

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Beaventing @ Journey's End

Another positive outing for Beaventing in 2011. Seth and I took Cody and Legacy to Journey's End for FCDA's combined test today. The day started a bit rough for Cody and Seth...Cody's bond to Legacy hasn't been broken at all by the introduction of Hobbs :). With 45 mph wind gusts and Legacy and the show, Cody was a bit tense in warmup and for his test to say the least. I didn't get to see it, but Seth's comments seemed fair. Cody was winnying for Legacy through his test and Seth said he couldn't stop him when he was cantering. So unfortunately they didn't show their best stuff. Seth handled it really well and although he was disappointed with dressage, he didn't let it carry over. He had a beautiful stadium round, again I didn't get to see it :(. But Cody was really forward and was jumping really well. Hopefully we can try a Novice CT this summer to continue moving forward. Plus if Legacy isn't there, his dressage has improved so much he'll be fine. He just needs to learn how to get connection!!

Legacy was wound up as well to start the day. When I went to get on I said to my mom, "it's like boarding a rocket." I just thought he was ready to explode. We were doing lengthened trot in the warmup for about 15 minutes as well. It was reminiscent of Millbrook when I couldn't settle him. So I thought the dressage was going to not be good at all...but my lengthenings would be good! Well he settled in really nicely and we ended up with a 30.9 in dressage, which I thought was generous. He was a bit tense and not as keen to my aids as I would've liked. I definitely didn't ride as accurately as I normally do either and some of my transitions were early/late. But, nonetheless, he did settle and we had a solid showing. I knew his lengthenings were there today and I pushed too hard and got him off balance at the end. I need to learn to settle in and ride the stride instead of pushing for more...it just feels so awesome I never want to stop asking him to lengthen. Then to the jumping. Well when I was warming up, some dressage queen was freaking out b/c her horse couldn't handle someone jumping. So I said, leave and give me 5 minutes. Legacy was definitely ready to jump...he just felt like a fire-breathing dragon going into the fences. He really, really wanted to go....a wonderful feeling after last year. The jump round went really smooth. There was absolutely no feeling of hesitation and I really felt like he had a good time. He felt like he had his old jump back too. He was really trying and wasn't doing the minimum amount like he was last year. He was really jumping round, and although he was really heavy in my hands, he came back and settled into a collected canter when I asked. The jumps felt too easy. It was a very positive outing for us. Now I need to XC school and see what I have there. He's been raring to go...yesterday I just galloped back and forth across the property, so he's ready for a schooling. I really hope I can get him going at Training again and have Seth take him to some small stuff this year. I think it will be a lot of fun and it's a nice mix for him. I think he'll be much happier with a less aggressive schedule and I just need to pay attention to his mood and what he's telling me he wants to do. Based on today...he wants to do this!!

So, all in all it was a good day for Beaventing. It was nice to be at a local show and both be able to ride, but Cody's insecurity will make it difficult...oh well. Hopefully I can fight the windburn and go out and give Hobbs a flatworkout tonight to prep for Fairhill next weekend!

Go Beaventing...

No comments:

Post a Comment